We talked about this topic in the last blog post. However, I thought it might be good to expand on it and give you a list of the top 10 things you need to do before going on a date or even while being on the date. My hope is that this list will help you be prepared and less nervous.
- Be the best version of yourself. Get dressed up, buy a new outfit if necessary, and ensure you present yourself in the best possible light. She is putting in the effort so you should too. (This was part of the last blog post, check it out if you haven’t already)
- Know what type of qualities you are looking for. You don’t need a specific or exact. But generally, know your deal breakers and understand the leading qualities that are important to you. If she has plans to travel but you prefer to stay home then it might not be the best match.
- Set your intentions early on. No one wants to feel like they are being led on. If you are dating for fun, that is fine, but tell her that. Have a conversation about what you are looking for early on so no one is wasting their time.
- Be open to new people. This is a little contradicting with #2, but hear me out. From ages 40-60 some of you may be a little closed off. Not in a bad way, you just already know what you like and don’t like but this could actually limit who you match with. Don’t be someone you’re not but be open to new experiences and new people. You may be surprised.
- Be early. This one is short and sweet. Don’t make her wait and wonder when you are going to show up. Plan to be at the restaurant or date first.
- Be confident. When she arrives stand up and greet her. Have a smile on your face and give her your full attention. Fidgeting or acting shy will not convey the same confidence. Also giving her a compliment right at the start doesn’t hurt.
- Have conversation topics ready to go. You will both likely be nervous. You are two strangers meeting for the first time, that is normal. Having a couple of ready-to-go topics can help move the date along in the right direction. Ask her about her desires, her interests, her likes, and her passions. You are there to get to know each other and have a real conversation.
- Listen to her. Have you ever heard of the 80/20 rule? This applies here. Listen 80% of the time and talk 20%. This will help you get to know her and figure out if you have any common interests. Women love to talk about themselves so asking about her will go a long way. Women also connect more when they feel comfortable so genuinely being interested in her will help.
- Pay the bill. Yes, men. I am one of those who believe that men should be a gentleman and pay for the date. Especially the first date. Even if she makes more money than you. If your relationship continues there will be plenty of other times where she can treat you but in the beginning, is not one of them.
- Book the next date. If you had a good time and you both would like to see each other again then seal the deal before you part ways. Book the date face to face and not in a text later after you get home. This also applies if you do not wish to see her again. Tell her that you had fun but you do not think you should go any further with the relationship. Wasting others’ time is the worst thing to do.
So what are your thoughts? I don’t think any of them are too difficult and they are reasonable guidelines to follow. Put them to the test and let me know how it goes. If you would like to listen to my tips on relationships or how to dress then check out my podcast HERE guys.